Monday, March 15, 2010

Homemade instead of store-bought

We eat lots of granola bars at our house. I mean LOTS! My kids love them, I love them, and Nathaniel loves them. What we have discovered though, is that it seems to be getting harder and harder to find granola bars that have much nutritional value. They also usually come 6-8 in a box, and honestly, that doesn't last very long around here. On top of that, the prices seem to be rising...ugh!

Nathaniel decided to dive in and try his hand at making some from scratch while I was away working the consignment sale. I have one word for you, friends...DELICIOUS! He went here and used this recipe to make the absolute best granola bar ever.

After we had devoured the first batch, he decided to mix it up a bit. Instead of honey, he used Agave Nectar, and he also added coconut flakes...my personal favorite! Yum-yum. They are amazing. They are delicious, made with yummy ingredients, and the best part, they are made my hubby :)

Here is the picture he took after he made the first batch. He cuts them into bars and we store them in snack size baggies so they are easy to grab and enjoy. We are all enjoying them. I think he has made 4 or 5 batches already. Who knew we would ever use so much wheat germ?!



So give them a try...you will be so glad you did!

Cookin' up with the Joneses...it's not as hard as you think!

2 comments:

  1. And they're so much better for you because you know exactly what ingredients went into them! No sneaky high fructose corn syrup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! We will have to try these!

    ReplyDelete