Saturday, March 20, 2010

Meal Planning

I sat down this afternoon and made out our meal plan for the week. I had other plans, but seeing as the temperature dropped about 40 degrees from yesterday, I opted to find ways to use my time that were in-doors instead of outdoors.

I have found that if I make a meal plan, I will see two major benefits. First, I can go grocery shopping with a specific list, which means I spend less money. BIG benefit. Second, I have discovered that we are much more likely to eat at home if I already have a specific meal planned and the groceries in the cupboard. If I don't have a plan, I tend to forget to thaw the meat, or I end up throwing my hands in the air and running to the nearest CHEAP fast-food joint to grab something. A big bad no-no...I mean every once in a while it's fine, but not with any regularity.

So, today was the day for this week...I sat at the dining table and quickly made a list of some dinner options that sounded good. Then I looked at the week, deciding what to cook each night based upon the other commitments of the day. Make sense? Busy days make for quicker dinner preparations. Days at home mean I can be a little more elaborate.

I haven't quite decided which dinners I will share with you this week, but I will be posting something yummy in the next day or two, and I will try to include pictures. Posts are always more fun with pictures, right?

What about you? Do you meal plan? One week at a time? Two weeks? A month? Share your tips and tricks for meal planning and sticking with your plan!

1 comment:

  1. I plan my meals a month at a time. I do one big grocery day and get most of the monthly groceries (we are paid once a month so this works for me) I have a spot on my monthly meal plan to list weekly parishables that will need to be bought that week, so I do not have to go back and look at recipes to know what I need for the week.

    ReplyDelete